mericans are overworked and stretched thin, so it’s no surprise they’re experiencing employee burnout at an alarming rate. It’s not uncommon for lifetime employees to be looking for ways out or alternatives to their current employment situation. Whether looking for ways to enter into early retirement or seeking out all-new career paths, this is problematic for employers who wish to retain their employees.
Getting to the root of employees’ dismay and seeking out solutions for employee retention is often as simple as surveying employees. Providing employees with a non-threatening survey that touts the value of their feedback may help you attain the answers you seek. Allowing employees to have a safe, non-confrontational space to express the cause of their burnout will yield organic responses. Likewise, providing employees the opportunity to offer real solutions shows them that you value their opinions and their employment. A well-worded survey that digs deep can get you all these answers and more.
Craft a Simple 10-Question Survey that Asks the Right Questions
Ten questions are a manageable number that won’t scare off respondents. Research indicates that as the number of questions goes beyond 10, the likelihood of respondents completing the survey decreases. Besides providing respondents with a manageable number of questions, drawing them in with icebreaker questions, less serious in tone, will warm them up to the tougher questions later on in the survey.
Icebreaker questions get respondents talking about themselves; not only do people enjoy talking about themselves, but they relish knowing employers care to hear about their lives outside of the workplace. In a 10-question survey, beginning with 2 to 3 icebreakers is ideal. Here are three simple icebreaker questions, loosely connected to your topic, that you may include in your survey about employee burnout:
- How was your day?This is an open-ended question that allows respondents to share about work, life, and beyond. It also leaves it open to positive and negative responses.
- What do you like to do in your spare time?A question like this will unguard respondents, allowing them to reflect on the things that make them happiest. It also gives you insight into ways you may appeal to employees.
- What’s an accomplishment you’re super proud of?Similarly, this allows respondents the freedom to share about themselves, but it may also provide insight into employees’ interests and talents.
After a few icebreaker questions, your questions should shift to the heart of the matter. Whether you’re hoping to prevent employee burnout, figure out what’s causing it, or address and resolve it, these questions will give you the information you need.
Check out these 7 questions, focused specifically on employee burnout, and how they can help you ameliorate this issue.
- Are you satisfied with your job?
- Do you enjoy your work?
- Do you feel adequately appreciated at work?
- Do you feel you work more than you should?
- Do the stresses of work seep into your home life?
- Can you cope with your workload without having to work extra hours>?
- Are there enough people on your team or in your department to handle your current workload?
Icebreaker Questions for Employee Feedback Survey
- If you had to spend an entire day doing one of the following activities, which would you choose? Peeling Potatoes, Coloring in a Coloring Book, Watching Reruns of “Friends”, Walking Laps
- Which celebrity would you choose to go on a week-long vacation with? Kanye West, Weird Al Yankovic, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears
- Which language would you choose to become fluent in? American Sign Language, French, German, Hindi
- Which group exercise class are you most likely to take? Spin, Yoga, Zumba, Kickboxing
- Which vacation destination would you be most likely to choose? Bora Bora, Denmark, The Swiss Alps, Walt Disney World
- Which dessert are you most likely to order? Cheesecake, Chocolate Lava Cake, Creme Brulee, Espresso Martini
- Which Golden Girl are you? Sophia, Dorothy, Rose, or Blanche
- Which Harry Potter house would the Sorting Hat choose for you? Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin
- Which social media platform can you NOT live without? Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, SnapChat
- Which animal would you choose as a pet? Dog, Cat, Snake, Bird
- If you could have any talent, which would it be? Singing, Cooking, Painting, Talking Backwards
- If you could choose one superpower, which would you choose? X-Ray Vision, Invisibility, Teleportation, Superhuman Strength
- If you could only read one genre for the rest of your life, which would you choose? Fiction, Memoir, Romance, Fantasy
- If you could have lunch with one of these historical figures, who would it be? Abraham Lincoln, Amelia Earhart, Mahatma Gandhi, Rosa Parks
- Which new skill would you be interested in learning? Coding, Knitting, Origami, Chess
Icebreaker Questions for Customer Feedback Survey
- If you could live in a different time period, when would it be? The Middle Ages, The Roaring Twenties, The Victorian Era, The Prehistoric Age
- Which board game do you prefer? Monopoly, Checkers, Scrabble, Pictionary
- If you could, which would be the first world problem you’d fix? Hunger, Economic Inequality, Terrorism, Unemployment
- Which is your least favorite chore?Cleaning Bathrooms, Grocery Shopping, Mowing the Lawn, Laundry
- What was your favorite subject in school? Math, Science, History, English
- Which workplace superlative would you be most likely to receive? Best Attendance, Human Megaphone, Office Gossip, The Motivator
- How would you prefer to relax and unwind? Netflix & Chill, Take a Bath, Leisurely Walk, Meditate
- Which food cuisine do you prefer? Italian, Mexican, Barbecue, Japanese
- Which is your favorite modern invention? Smartphone, Microwave, Airplane, Camera
- If you could have one of the following for the rest of your life, which would you choose? Personal Chef, Maid, Chauffeur, Personal Assistant
- What type of live entertainment do you prefer? Broadway Play, The Ballet, Concert, Comedy Show
- Would you rather: go back in history to meet your ancestors OR go into the future to meet your great-grandchildren?
- Where would you rather live? With No AC on the Equator, In a Camper Without Hot Water, On a Compound With a Religious Cult, Adjacent to a Busy Train Track
- Do you prefer:Pool or Beach?
- If you had to eat fast food from the same place every day for the rest of your life, which restaurant would you choose? McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Chick-Fil-A, Subway
<div class="in-body-button"><a href="https://app.qwary.com/signup" class="button w-button"><div style="color: #00112c">Use This Template</div></a></div>
Employee burnout is a pervasive issue in today's workplace, and employers must take action to address it effectively. Conducting surveys is a valuable tool in understanding the root causes of burnout and finding ways to improve employee satisfaction and retention. By using icebreaker questions to create a comfortable atmosphere and asking targeted questions related to job satisfaction, workload, and work-life balance, employers can gain valuable insights into the factors contributing to burnout.
In conclusion, it's crucial for employers to prioritize the well-being of their employees and take proactive steps to prevent and mitigate burnout. Surveys provide a powerful means of communication between employers and employees, allowing for open and honest feedback. By listening to their employees and taking action based on survey results, organizations can create a healthier, more productive, and more sustainable work environment for everyone. Employee burnout is a challenge, but with the right approach, it can be addressed and reduced, benefiting both employees and employers alike.
An experience management platform that allows you to take control of your customer and employee feedback, giving you the power to learn from every conversation. Qwary enables companies to have an unbiased conversation with its customers/employees and make data-driven decisions with simple, friendly & engaging surveys over the web, via text messages, Alexa survey skill, or Facebook messenger. Dive deep into the data and understand otherwise hidden trends with Qwary's advanced analytics.Try Qwary Free